Have you ever wondered if there’s a more natural and cost-effective solution for your household cleaning needs? Look no further than the amazing baking soda. This simple and readily available ingredient has been a secret weapon in households for generations, thanks to its remarkable cleaning properties. From banishing odors to removing stains and tackling various cleaning challenges, it proves to be a versatile and powerful ally. In this article, we unveil the magic of it and delve into its numerous applications, offering you an array of practical tips and tricks to harness its full potential. Say goodbye to expensive cleaning products and embrace the wonders of it for a cleaner and fresher home. Get ready to be amazed by the extraordinary capabilities of this unassuming pantry staple.
Have you ever considered how much money you spend on cleaning products? It tends to be a high amount if you buy a different cleanser for every piece of furniture or tool: the windows, the curtains, the kitchen, the sink, the refrigerator, the floors… the list can be very long—as the store receipt.
What if there is a more natural and cheaper solution for household cleaning tasks?
In our recent posts, you might have noted that vinegar is a great helper for the mentioned purpose. However, there’s another easy-to-use, very soluble, and effective component.
Why is it amazing?
It is non-toxic, multi-purpose and it’s definitely cheap. The cost of it (especially when you purchase a large measure of it) is far less than that of any other specialized cleaning agent.
Baking soda is also known as bicarbonate of soda and it’s created from sodium carbonate. You can use it for the following cleaning purposes:
To eliminate odors
- A box or small bowl of baking soda in the refrigerator, freezer, or any cupboard will keep away unpleasant odors.
- It will keep away garbage odors: sprinkle the bottom of the pail, and then sprinkle again after you put a new bag in.
- To remove stale smells from food containers, rinse them out with hot water and baking soda. If the smell persists, let the container soak overnight in the baking soda and water mixture.
- To remove scents from a carpet, sprinkle with it. Let stand for at least fifteen minutes and then vacuum. Repeat as needed.
- If there is a smoker in the house, put it in the bottom of each ashtray to keep away some of the stale smoke smell.
- Baking soda in the letterbox will help prevent odors.
- To quickly clean pets and remove “wet dog” odor, sprinkle with it and brush out their fur.
Effective Cleaning Tips Using Baking Soda
- To clean surfaces, sprinkle baking soda on a damp cloth. Wipe, then rinse with clean water.
- If they are stubborn stains, use a baking soda paste (3 parts baking soda, one part water). Apply, let stand, then scrub or wipe clean.
- To clean silver, use a paste of 3 parts baking soda to one part water. Rub the paste onto each item, then rinse with warm water and dry with a soft cloth.
- To remove scuff marks or grease spills from the floor, sprinkle with it and then wipe with a warm, damp cloth. This is even safe for no-wax floors!
- Children’s toys can be cleaned using 1/4 cup of it in 1 quart of warm water. Submerge in this mixture (or wipe with a cloth dampened in it), then rinse with clear water.
Baking Soda Hacks for Various Cleaning Needs and Household Maintenance
- Grease fires can be put out by sprinkling them with baking soda.
- For burnt-on food in the bottom of pots, sprinkle with it, then add hot water. Let soak overnight; the dried-on food will come loose much more easily.
- In the bathroom, if you want to avoid clogged drains, pour 1/4 cup baking soda down weekly. Rinse through with hot water.
- Replace half of each measure of laundry detergent with it to keep clothing fresh.
- Pretreat diapers in their pail with it. This will keep odors from becoming overpowering between washings.
- Baking soda increases the effectiveness of chlorine bleach. Add 1 / 2 cup to your laundry, along with the usual amount of bleach.
- The children’s pool can be cleaned and have mildew removed by washing with it in warm water.
- Before packing away your camping gear after a trip, sprinkle with it.
Try it out and then let us know what results you obtained. We’re sure you will never stop using the amazing baking soda!